Website Alaska Airlines
The Principal Database Administrator is the sole subject matter expert in Microsoft SQL server and other database technologies. As an individual contributor, this role defines long-term strategy for SQL database platforms and exercises considerable latitude and initiative to solve complex problems and ensures the company’s database platforms are safe, secure, and cost effective.
- Act as a subject matter expert and enterprise technology thought leader on Microsoft SQL platforms, including SQL Server Reporting Services and Cloud database platforms.
- Define the long-term strategy for MS SQL platforms and their implementation.
- Influence operations and development teams to ensure new capabilities are adopted and operationalized.
- Closely partner with different groups within IT as well as business customers in order to clearly understand their requirements, implement technology solutions, and own the resulting systems.
- Lead cross divisional enterprise infrastructure projects related to database platforms.
- Research, develop, and communicate system roadmaps, opportunities and constraints to IT, as well as the Company.
- Coordinate and collaborate with Enterprise Architecture, ensuring our forward-looking strategies and roadmaps align.
- Train and mentor department and team members.
- Represent the team and manager at division, business and project meetings.
- In-depth knowledge of the following:
- Datacenter server operating systems Windows, UNIX, and Linux
- Database platforms MS SQL Server and Reporting Services
- Cloud Database platforms including Azure Cosmos, SQL, and Synapse
- Database replication and backup/restore techniques.
- SQL performance tuning & diagnostics.
- Leveraging new technologies to improve process, reduce support, and/or lower costs.
- Designing and implementing enterprise systems utilizing such platforms as Windows Server, UNIX, Linux, Virtualization, Cloud, Active Directory, etc.
- Knowledge of networking concepts (e.g., advanced networking, switching, and routing) and backup
Qualification & Experience:
- 7 years of experience in IT, with at least 5 years of professional experience with MS SQL and 2 years supporting cloud-based database platforms
- Bachelor’s degree with a focus in computer science, information technology or a related study, or an additional two years of relevant training/experience in lieu of this degree.
Company: Alaska Airlines
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Tacoma, WA, US
Application Deadline: N/A