Responsible for the design of the best Technology for the Group through the use of service oriented architecture by applying exceptional engineering and technical skill. The SVP Software Engineering will define and implement a three year strategy that will transform the engineering team into a modern, best in class engineering team across all Group applications and systems and champion migration to micro services in line with our HPT programme. Through a strong knowledge of current technology trends, including data engineering, backend enterprise engineering and digital and e-commerce, the SVP Software Engineering provides clear strategic direction coupled with dynamic leadership to ultimately ensure that the engineering teams support and secure the organisation?s wider goals and objectives.
- Ensure the engineering organisational structure is sufficiently flexible to cope with growth and business changes including the appropriate balance between managed, vendor partnerships and outsourced activities. Over time, migrate engineering systems and processes to a Regional and Global level as appropriate (centralised, regionalised, networked) whilst ensuring standardisation and governance remains in place
- Oversee the digital/front end engineering team by being a recognised transformational leader, leveraging experience in the leadership of a digitally savvy engineering function ensuring alignment of technical software development to group strategy and the latest digital business roadmap.
- Drive the use of service oriented architecture to transform the front end engineering team into a modern, best in class engineering team and champions migration to micro services. Enable the backend/Enterprise systems team, including integration engineering team, to focus on designing and implementing applications and engineering processes to scale.
- Create a core set of engineering performance indicators by promoting a culture of measurability and accountability through the implementation of service levels and dashboards driven by customer delivery, effectiveness and cost efficiency measures, drive continuous process improvement and innovation by identifying inefficiencies in current processes.
- Lead the identification, prioritisation and implementation of appropriate improvements to drive productivity/efficiency improvements e.g. improving agility of the teams, ensuring engineering chapters are set up and aligned to engineering disciplines to support autonomous team and adopting industry trends for innovation
- Develop and leverage key internal partnerships to maximise the achievement of business goals, working collaboratively with other leaders across the organisation to identify trade-offs or potential conflicts between functional goals, strategic goals and business opportunities and negotiate resolution.
- Transform and inspire the engineering teams to develop, support and transform the technology to enable business growth, by faster delivery of business outcomes and improved quality of delivery.
- Champion agile development methodology by leading, building capability, creating learning pathways and coaching the engineering team by providing thought leadership in engineering and lean agile process improvement and lean management techniques to execute at pace and at scale.
- Define and drive a high performing three strategy across the engineering domains in support of major cross-functional projects.
- Communicate an inspired vision for the team as a brand ambassador for engineering talent by developing a strategic view to ensure that the engineering capability is set up for the future through upskilling/cross skilling and developing and upgrading processes to accomplish goals across all engineering domains and geographies covered.
- Enable the VP Data Management to be an enterprise data leader improving data quality, enforcing data governance and envision the creation of new data products and services ensuring that reliable data is available to inform both tactical and long-term strategic business decisions.
- Direct and ensure the data integrity of the organisation is best in class data engineering and data governance.
- Reduce business and customer impact (for example, sales loss) due to applications systems issues by ensuring excellence using quality standards, measuring sales loss and performing root cause analysis, publishing results, and developing future prevention plans.
- Ensure product quality by developing and executing quality assurance plans, use data and experience to determine customer needs, directing continuous improvement and eliminating non-value-added work, measure milestones for quality, and developing mitigation plans to ensure quality.
- Developing Business Intelligence and Reporting applications using Oracle Power BI, Micro Strategy, Business Objects or Informatica, developing Customer Analytics applications using Hadoop, developing data warehousing systems
- Strong change leadership experience Knowledge/skills:
- Building scalable large-scale application including digital applications (web and mobile), back end enterprise applications data technologies.
- Digital engineering at scale with experience of transition from monolith to micro services and mobile applications on major smartphone platforms such as Android or iOS and building rich mobile user experiences
- Multi-threaded high-performance applications and workflow
- Developing with a multi-tenant or ?Software-as-a-Service? (SaaS) application
- Developing service-oriented (SOA) architectures and EAI technologies Implementing internationalisation and localisation software applications
- Building massive-scale distributed systems
- Demonstrable people centric leadership skills with a track record of building high performing and culturally aligned teams
- Extensive experience of all the technologies across the technology platform relevant to the Emirates Group
- Track record of leading and delivering improvement and transformation initiatives of engineering capabilities aligned to the business
- Excellent knowledge of engineering and application support
- Excellent understanding of business strategy with a firm grasp of commercial impact/ROI and a determination to lead best practices
- Ability to communicate technical information in a way that is understandable mainstream
Qualification & Experience:
- 5+ yrs Scaled Agile methodology, where context not control is part of the culture and modern flexible working practices are part of the ways of working –
- Degree or Honours (12+3 or equivalent)
- Degree in Computer Science or related field (a higher degree would be advantageous and consideration will be given to Masters degree/PhD holders with < 15 years? experience)
- Experience in a leadership role within a Software Engineering function (e.g. Group CTO of smaller business or a senior level technology role within a large multinational)
- 10+ yrs in large global organisations who have transformed their legacy landscape from monolith to digital.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Application Deadline: N/A